Work for Biologists in Skaha this summer - remember the call for sponsorships through The Land Conservancy to Save Skaha? TLC is now looking for an Okanagan Region “Project Officer”. See details below, info on the okanagan region according to TLC’s project areas is here: http://www.conservancy.bc.ca/regions.asp?regionack=OK
Project Officer, f/t, TLC The Land Conservancy of BC, Penticton BC
Posted by: “GoodWork Green Jobs” firstname.lastname@example.org planetfriendly
Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:54 am (PDT)
[from Canada's Green Job Site, http://www.GoodWorkCanada.ca ]
Position: Project Officer, Okanagan Region
Organization: TLC The Land Conservancy of BC http://www.conservancy.bc.ca
Location: Penticton, British Columbia
Based out of Penticton, the Project Officer will work as an
employee of TLC, within the South Okanagan-Similkameen
Region of BC to ensure the effective coordination,
functioning, and delivery of TLC’s SOS Stewardship Program
and related initiatives. The Project Officer will work with
TLC’s Okanagan Stewardship staff, landowners, and partners
in the South Okanagan Similkameen Conservation Program
(SOSCP) to strategically plan, administer and implement
landowner contact and stewardship through the SOS
Stewardship Program. All activities are focused on providing
advice and information relating to the effective management
of private lands to benefit specific species at risk (list
of species appended).
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
Landowner Contact/Stewardship Program Development and Implementation
* Focusing on local species at risk and their habitats, the
Project Officer will work with TLC Okanagan SOS Stewardship
Staff and species experts to plan and implement landowner
contact and community stewardship programs including site
visits, community stewardship events, habitat restoration
and enhancement projects.
* Maintain project records and databases, assist with
program evaluation and correspondence, and ensure continuity
of contact and a complete archival record
* Coordinate and implement public informational displays at
local community events.
* Prepare and distribute the bi-annual SOS Stewardship
Newsletter, mailouts, information packages and press releases
Land Securement (Property Acquisition and Protection)
* Assist with monitoring stewardship agreements and
* Help gather information for potential conservation
covenants, donations, and acquisitions
* Assist with stewardship of TLC properties
Administrative and Support Activities
* Coordinate volunteers for various projects
* Other administrative duties as related to SOS Stewardship
Program and TLC work
* Reports to Okanagan Region Stewardship Coordinator
* On request of the Stewardship Coordinator, provides
reports and information to regional staff
* Undergraduate degree in ecology, biology, geography or
another related discipline is required.
* Demonstrated knowledge of or experience with TLC and with
the South Okanagan-Similkameen region.
* Well-rounded knowledge of local environmental issues,
particularly species at risk.
* Highly motivated, enthusiastic, adaptable, and self-directed.
* Able to work independently and as part of a team within
the dynamics of a non-profit organization.
* Excellent written and oral communication skills;
experienced and comfortable interacting with the public.
* Valid emergency first aid or equivalent
* Valid Class 5 driver’s license
* Able to work evenings and weekends on occasion
* Experience with photography, field work, mapping, and
computer graphics design would be an asset
Location: Work will be throughout the South Okanagan-
Similkameen region, based out of TLC’s Penticton office.
Duration: mid-July 2009 to March 30, 2010; depending on
funding, the duration of employment may be extended
Salary: /hour, 40 hours/week
Application Deadline: 6:00 am, July 6, 2009
Start Date: Funding dependent, approximately mid-July
To apply, send a current résumé and cover letter to:
Okanagan Region Stewardship Coordinator
email@example.com (preferred) — with the
subject line: Project Officer Job
201-262 Main St, Penticton BC V2A 5B2
TLC thanks all applicants for their interest. Only those
selected for an interview will be contacted.