Three people have have died after contracting hantavirus while visiting Yosemite National Park. It is also believed that up to 22,000 visitors may have been exposed to the deadly mouse-borne disease. Officials suspect that visitors we exposed to the virus after staying in one of the 91 Curry Village tent cabins where deer mice were found infesting the double walls of the structures.
Early symptoms of infection include headache, fever, muscle aches, shortness of breath and coughing. During later stages victims succumb to severe breathing difficulties and death.
Hantavirus kills over a third of those infected and there is no known cure.
More details at The Toronto Star.