McColl, Ondra and Other Top Climbers Will Be At IFSC World Climbing Camp In B.C.
A one-of-a-kind climbing camp is being held at The Boulders Climbing Gym in Victoria this month.
What: This event will see the top climbers in the world in both lead (difficulty) and speed come to the Boulders to teach athletes who wish to hone their skills, and learn more about competition climbing. The event will be open to 100 athletes, ages 13 to adult.
This is an excellent opportunity for media to meet and speak with many of the top competition climbers from around the world and to watch them in action, as well as to learn more about one of the world’s fastest growing sports.
When: Friday February 20 through Sunday February 22, 2015.
Classroom sessions and workshops Friday and Saturday morning. Prime media and public viewing opportunities during mock competitions on Saturday February 21, 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. and Sunday February 22 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Public admission by donation.
Where: – The Boulders Climbing Gym, Stelly’s High School, 1627 Stelly’s Crossroad, Saanich, BC
This is the first time the IFSC has held an official training camp, and the Boulders is honoured to be the first host. There are still some spots open for students.
The event staff includes the following world class athletes:
- Sean McColl (CAN) – Reigning 2012 and 2014 IFSC Overall Men’s Champion, Assistant Coach, Canadian National Youth Team
- Adam Ondra (CZE) – Reigning 2014 IFSC World Champion in both bouldering and lead climbing.
- Domen Skofic (SLO) – 2011 World Youth Champion, 2012 European Youth Champion, three podium finishes at 2014 IFSC Climbing Worldcup events, plus two 4th place finishes.
- Sebastian Halenke (GER) – 2010 German Youth Champion, 2009, 2010, 2012 Junior World Champion, 2011 and 2013 German Men’s Champion, 2014 European Youth Cup Champion.
- Mina Markovic (SLO) – 2011 IFSC Lead World Cup Champion, 2011 and 2012 IFSC Overall Women’s Champion.
- Hélène Janicot (FRA) – 2010 IFSC World Youth Champion, 2010 World Cup Chamonix Silver Medalist, 2012 World Cup Briacon Champion, 2013 European Championships Bronze Medalist, 2014 French National Champion.
- Charlotte Durif (FRA) – Five-time IFSC World Youth Champion, 2006 Lead European Champion, 2010 French Cup Champion, 2010 French National Champion, 2010 Chamonix World Cup Champion, accomplished outdoor climber.
- Maja Vidmar (SLO) – 2007 Lead World Cup Champion, 2005 and 2008 Lead World Cup Silver Medalist, 2009 and 2011 Lead World Cup Bronze Medalist.
- Libor Hroza (CZE) – Former world record holder in speed climbing (2014- 5.76 seconds), 2013 European Champion, 2013 and 2014 Worldcup Silver Medalist, Ranked second in the world overall.
- Klaudia Buczek (POL) – 2009 Junior European Cup Silver Medalist, 2010 World Youth Champion, 2012 Daone World Cup Silver Medalist, 2014 World Championship Silver Medalist.
- Aleksandra Rudzinska (POL) – 2009, 2010, 2013 World Youth Champion, 2011 European Youth Cup Champion, 2014 World Championships Bronze Medalist.
Officials: Roman Krajnik, Coach (SLO), Kim Jaha, Coach (KOR) Paul Ledet, (CAN), IFSC Judge
Organizers: Kimanda Jarzebiak, (CAN) The Boulders Climbing Gym; Roman Krajnik, (SLO) Slovenian Coach
Boulders Staff: Sebastian Powell (setting coordination), Andrew Wilson
Setters: Adam Pustelnik (POL), Lloyd King (CAN), Kaleb Thomas (CAN), Josh Larson (USA)
“Our reputation as a world class climbing facility continues to grow and we are very excited to be hosting this high profile event,” said Boulders Chair Kimanda Jarzebiak. “This camp is bringing the top climbers in the world to our facility and will set the stage for us to host additional international events in the future.”
About The Boulders Climbing Gym
The Boulders Climbing Gym is a not-for-profit society, with the mandate of making climbing accessible for everyone, regardless of ability or ability to pay. With over 13,000 square feet (1,208 square metres) of climbing space, The Boulders Climbing Gym is a community facility and a unique social enterprise, providing adaptive recreation and rehabilitation programs, youth recreational and competitive programs, as well as facilitating a climbing academy at Stelly’s Secondary School. All instructors are certified by the Association of Canadian Mountain Guides. See www.climbtheboulders.com for more details.