Devised by wilderness medicine professionals, the simple thermal burrito is an effective backcountry treatment for climbers suffering from hypothermia. The system can be set up quickly and only requires common items that most climbers regularly carry. Here are the instructions from the Wilderness Medicine Institute:
1. Lay out a tarp on the ground.
2. Place 1 or 2 pads down on top of the tarp. Two pads are always better than one.
3. Stack three sleeping bags on top of the pads.
4. Place the victim inside the sleeping bag in the middle.
5. Wrap the victim in the tarp.
6. Provide the victim with hot water bottles. These should be placed under the arms and at the crotch. Additional bottles may be held or placed at the victim’s feet.